Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Walk

Unfortunately, I have had an avenue to participate in the American Cancer Society Relay for Life. My cousin and her husband rallied together after the loss of 8 month old Baby Morgan to form Morgan's Team. They are active contributors and even were the Chairpersons for the Gentry County Relay for the Stanberry rotation. Their dedication to the Relay and the Search for a Cure is an absolute inspiration! Reluctantly, I attended the Relay for the first time a few years ago...thinking I really had nothing to offer. The opening ceremony was the Survivor Lap and I was a proud, emotional wreck as I witnessed my sister complete that lap in the sea of purple. Some of us joined in on the next lap with her and the other survivors for the caregiver lap. For the next 12 hours, we had a team member on the track, completing THE WALK portion of the Relay. A representative from the American Cancer Society explained the symbolism of THE WALK at several intervals throughout the night. I cannot explain what that first year of THE WALK did for me, but I was hooked! I soon realized...for me, it's not what I can do for THE WALK, but what THE WALK does for me.

This past year, there were very few team members able to stay all night and complete THE WALK. I was thrilled that my little cousin offerred to stay...she'll never understand the motivation she provided me. But I can guarantee you, I would have done it by myself...that is how much it means to me! Every year, I felt it was the only opportunity I had to even begin to understand the battle my sister had survived and the only possibility I would ever get to remotely experience the emotional roller coaster of those who have lost loved ones to cancer. For me, it was my only hope to connect and to remind me to constantly Thank God for all the people committed to make a difference.

I recently talked to my cousin that lost her baby to cancer and shared with her that I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would truly experience the fight myself! I tried to explain to her how THE WALK changed my life forever because it was the symbol of what my loved ones had experienced and I thought it was the closest I would ever get. She kindly sent these words to me and I wish to share them with you...

The Relay begins when the sun is setting. This symbolizes the time that the person has been diagnosed with cancer. The crowd of people represents the strong support structure the survivor needs.
The day is getting darker, and this represents the cancer patient's state of mind as they endure the emotions of being a cancer patient.
As the evening goes on, it gets colder and darker, just as the emotions of the cancer patient. Around 1 or 2 am represents the time when the cancer patient starts treatments. They become exhausted, some sick, not wanting to go on, and possibly wanting to give up. Participants in Relay feel much the same way while walking during these hours. They cannot stop or give up, just as the cancer patient cannot stop or give up.
Around 4 or 5 am symbolizes the completion of treatment for the cancer patient. Once again they are tired, but they know they will make it.
The sun rising represents the end of treatment for the cancer patient. They see the light at the end of the tunnel and know that life will go on. The morning light brings on a new day, full of life and excitement for the cancer patient. Participants feel the brightness of the morning and know the end of the Relay is close at hand.


A reason I walk...............

I Walked a Track
I walked around a track today....
I walked to help a disease go away.

I walked because there is a need.
I walked that bodies could be freed.

I walked to give a small child hope...
I walked to help someone cope.

I walked for a husband or a wife.
I walked to give someone life.

I walked with my head held high...
I walked for that one about to die.

I walked excitedly not demure.
I walked to help find a cure.

I walked for everyone to see....
I walked for you....I walked for me.


We will continue to walk.

10 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers daily. I will pray for good news on Tuesday. You can then celebrate that along with your birthday. Stay strong. You too will walk the survivor lap. God bless you
    Julie and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, Dan and family
    Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers daily.

    Ronnie Becky Kevin Matthew Clayton Geena Stoll

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will never know how much it means to me to watch you and all of Morgan's teammates enthusiasm as they walk at the relay each year! This year was even more special to me as most of the team had prior plans it meant so much for me to come over at 3 a.m. and see Lisa, Kim and you still at it, by the end of the walk you each had over 15 miles apiece, you three were AMAZING, Thanks you from the bottom of my heart. I wish my leg would let me walk it with you but the beast has made that hard for me, I will do more next year! As I sit here with tears running down my cheeks, I hate what the beast is doing to you and our family again, I never thought any of you and I pray no more of you have to go through this STUPID pain! We are all in this together, it is just not fair as we have watched an aunt, uncle, our cousins baby girl and MANY friends lose their battle to this beast and had to watch aunts, uncle, cousins, my brother in law, my nieces husband, friends, myself and now you have to fight this makes me very angry, I hate it. I know we have to trust in our Lord and that is what gets us the KO we need! You are the best wife, loving mother, daughter, sister, aunt and friend in the world and you shouldn't have to do this fight but we are here helping you whenever you need. I know I am babbling it just makes me MAD, Cancer SUCKS but we will NEVER GIVE UP! I Love you to the Moon and Back and will do whatever you need.XOXOXOXOXOXO Your Favorite Sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all in our prayers. Cancer does suck and it seems as though, your family has had more than any family should have to have. I will continue to pray for you Mary, and all your family! JoAnn Linville

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,

    I saw you loving on your beautiful little Bo in church this morning and I can see how much you love being a Mom. I wanted to tell you that you have so many people pulling for you and praying for you, and that is pretty clear on this blog.

    So, here in Kansas City we will be watching your blog and praying for your speedy recovery. Wishing you the best.

    Mary Meyer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only wish I could come to the Relay at least once! I really hate being so far away. You are definitely an inspiration. I know you will fight hard and beat the beast. You have everything you need to win... great support, great attitude, great doctors, strength, and faith. I hope getting answers offers you a little peace on your birthday.
    Sending lots of love your way.
    Karen Effinger

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was an article in the St. Joseph News Press on Saturday, August 8th, about Fr. Emil Kapaun. I had never heard of him until Cathy and Tony Tauke said they are praying to him. He is an alumni of Conception Seminary. I am adding my prayers to theirs. I ask that he will intercede for us and ask that Mary have peace and a return to good health.
    Love and prayers! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jefferson School has a team that walks in the Nodaway County Relay for Life. This year we will be honored to add your name to the list of wonderful people we are walking for. We are all "walking for a cure!"

    Linda Allen and Sue Swinford
    Co-chairman of the Jefferson Relay for Life Team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please know that we are in your corner with our prayers and support during your fight. Your little cousin(I love the description) told me your motivation for walking all night at the relay the next day and I thought, wow, that is so comendable but how does she do it with three little kids. Then right after noon that next day we met you, Dan and all the kids heading to the lake to spend the night with your friends. Again, I thought, where does her energy and stamina come from. I know this same energy, strength and determination will get you through this battle ahead, but please know we as well as many others want to help however we can, just let us know. Love you bunches and happy birthday tomorrow. Diane and all

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are in our prayers. You a such a fighter. I remember seeing you at the Relay this year. You had a look of determination as you were walking up the road. As you travel this unwanted highway, stay determined and stay strong. You can do it!!
    Phil, Diane and crew

    ReplyDelete