Friday, August 14, 2009

Fighting All Directions

WHEW!!! Big Sigh! I was polishing my gloves and continuing my fight against breast cancer and quickly realized I could "put up my dukes" and fight in several directions at once. Wednesday morning, my sister took Bo to the doctor for us (afraid he had ear infection) and my brother Bull took me to my echo cardiogram. Bull loves the back roads and just so happened my van broke down "in the middle of nowhere"...Bull still thinks he knew where we were. I was thanking God that Bull was with me and I was not by myself! He had it all under control and took care of all my needs in an affordable style. Needless to say, it was an entertaining ride home and the memories will last a lifetime. Fast Forward to Thursday...My Sister was very worried about Bo's breathing throughout the day. I received a call from Dan on my way home from work and he said, "I have Bo in the ER. Go on home and we will meet you at home." He should know better than to tell a mother to go home when her Baby is in the ER. I turned around and a few hours later, Bo was admitted to St. Francis Hospital in Maryville. The final diagnosis was croup. We spent lots of hours under the tent, had lots of breathing treatments and IV antibiotics and fluids. We finally made it home earlier this evening. I called the girls this morning to check on them and I barely recognized Malia's voice when she answered the phone. She and Maggie both have a terrible head cold, so our doctor was willing to treat them as well. Tonight we had our only little pharmacy distribution center right here at home.

I did receive the call from Dr. AJ today that I was waiting for. The HER2 is negative and chemo is set for Monday, August 17th. However, I am not sure if we will be able to start chemo or not because I have poison ivy and a rash from the surgical tape. I was starting to panic and realized I simply need to continue my prayers and when it starts, it starts...and I will be READY!

13 comments:

  1. You're in my thoughts & prayers. If you need anything let me know. Brenda Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it rains it pours. Your positive outlook is just amazing and an inspiration for us all. I'm so glad you have your port in before your first chemo session. Wishing you the best as you begin your sessions next week.
    God Bless,
    Jane W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary sounds like fun at your house!! Croup with the baby is NO fun and is horrific to hear!! Does he sound like a little dog barking? I have no idea how you do it but believe me you are an inspiration to us all!! Keep your chin up and if you need any help in your corner let me know!!! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all happens at once doesn't it? The summer yuck is going around in my neck of the woods too. Hoping your kiddos get over it sooner rather than later and that you don't get it at all! Good luck starting treatments.
    Continued thoughts and prayers.....
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were happy to hear that Bo got home...sounds like you got a couple more challenges!!! Take care and we are sending prayers your way!! Crock, Judy & the Kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything seems to happen at once, but your positive attitude and faith will get you through any obsticle that comes your way. Keep your dukes up and be ready for the punches. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way . . .

    Ronnie and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the little ones are on the mend. Also, hope the poison ivy is fading. Just know that my prayers are continuing and love you lots. Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, Mary, you have had alot going on. Hope the weekend has given everyone a chance to get healed up? Good Luck tomorrow. You will do fine. The meds they give before are great and there is no need to be sick. Please take care of yourself too. Keep the positive attitude and fighting spirit as God is in your corner. Hang in there and please call if you need anything.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading your post bring back many personal feelings and this quote:

    "One day at a time"

    HECK - with that I remember feeling that I better get through each hour of the day first.

    You can do it!!!

    I believe they will still start your chemo even if you have posion ivy. Unless you have posion ivy to the site where your port is placed. The steroids that they will give you with chemo will help dry up the poison ivy. BONUS!!

    I will be keeping you and your family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope everyone is on the mend. Know that our prayers are coming your way every minute of every day. We love you, Diane and all

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary,
    I'll be thinking of you and praying for you with your first treatment tomorrow. Go get that cancer!!!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. PUT UP YOUR DUKES!!! Know that you'll probably get a couple nasty swings from this BEAST, but with your strength and dexterity I know you'll be ready to take advantage of it's ignorance as you pin him and then throw out a big Counterpunch!! Now, GO out there and FIGHT LIKE A GIRL!!! LOVE YOU!!!!!

    Hopefully I will talk to you later this week, I have Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off and am thinking about coming home, so I'll be around to help!!

    Love and Prayers,
    Lou Who

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I hear that song I think of you Mary! Hope today goes well!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete