Thursday, October 1, 2009

Round 4 Chemo...OVER!

It definitely wasn't a KO and I am not even sure I would get the decision in this round, but I am glad it is over or nearly over! I could tell almost immediately on Monday that it was not going to be good again this week, but had no idea it was going to be worse. Dan ratted on me on the way out of chemo and the nurse gave him a sample pack for me...unfortunately it did not work. I started vomiting at 5PM on Monday and did not stop. I told Dan to call the doctor at 10PM and the doctor on call gave me some tips to get through the night. Dan took me to St. Joseph to the Cancer Center for my neulasta shot on Tuesday (I was planning to work so thought St. Joe would be closer for me than Maryville...ha ha) and we decided we were not leaving without seeing Dr. AJ. When I was checking in at the nurses' station I made eye contact with Dr. AJ and he immediately came to my aide and took great care of me. He gave me some IV fluids and anti-nausea meds and a very special anti-nausea 7-day patch ("ridiculously priced" at $800...I refused it until he convinced me it was a sample). I am not impressed with the pricey patch! Dr. AJ really is baffled...he is determined that I should have handled every treatment the same. He tried to encourage me that the next 12 weeks of Taxol (starts 10/12, so I have a week off...yeah!!!) will be a breeze, but I simply told him I would have to see it to believe it!

I was able to finally keep some soup down last night and I made it to work today. It helped to have somewhat of a normal routine today, but I still do not feel the greatest...still nauseous, tired and weak.

Then, to make me even more sad, Baby Bo is sick and we have to be separated for 2 days. He has double ear infection, upper respiratory viral infection, and who knows what else and the doctor does not want me taking any chances. The doctor thinks "normal" folks could get the common cold from him, but I have a chance of getting something more severe. Thanks to Aunt Krissy for taking Bo to the doctor because I have no business being in that kind of environment. Thanks to Uncle Bull for entertaining Maggie (or did Maggie entertain Uncle Bull?!?). Thanks to Aunt Sashy and Uncle Chester for loving my sick baby. I am sure Bo loves staying with Godmother Sashy anyway!

Keep those prayers coming! I am using every one of them! THANKS SO MUCH!

10 comments:

  1. You can do it! Keep fighting girl. Your baby will be back in your arms in no time, he is getting loving care in the mean time. Let your family and friends continue to help you, we all love you so much. Kellie, Dave, Maddie, Aidan, and Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can assure you that you are in our prayers constantly and wish we were closer to help. Praying that God gives you continued strength to fight this battle through to victory!! Love you bunches!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there ... it is a tough battle. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Chester and I have the EASY job! Bo is absolutely FUN, we enjoy him so much. Now if you can just get better, that would help me alot. I worry about you so much and how this beast is trying to get you down, please stay tough and don't let it win! Please try to eat and drink as much as you can! Keep your chin up, you are doing an amazing job and I am VERY proud of you! Fr. Emil Kapaun PLEASE KO the beast and heal my baby sis COMPLETELY, AMEN! I have a little boy pulling at me, time for another adventure with him:) Love you to the Moon and Back!! Bo sends you many Kisses and Hugs! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO share with the Dad and the girls! Your Favorite Sis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Mary. I have no doubt you will win this battle. Think about you frequently and pray for you many times doing the day. Thank God that you have such loving family and friends around you to give you help, support, love and encouragement. Just wish I was closer. Sending tons of prayers and love to you, Dan, Malia, Magie and little Bo. Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, Dan and kids, just wanted to let you know that we are still thinking of you. Keep your heads held HI!!!!!

    The Sears' (Kirk, Shelly, Tanner and Torye)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think of you often, and wear my golf shirt from the benefit PROUDLY!!!

    Stay strong and KEEP UP THE GREAT FIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking the friends/family looking after your kiddos and picking up a few of your "chores" ... they have the easy/fun filled job. You have another job right now that is MUCH more difficult ... fighting hard to beat the cancer! You are doing an amazing job,Mary! I pray each day that your victory over cancer comes quickly and with ONLY GOOD DAYS AHEAD!
    Love you much!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary please keep fighting strong and keep your head up. I keep the bracelet on my wrist 24/7 as a reminder of you and your fight, so I think and pray for you often. McKynsey thinks I need to take it off so it doesn't wear out but I tell her that it reminds me to pray for you when I see it. Mary we love your sooo much. I wish we could be closer to help, but you have such an awsome family. Love and Prayers Chris, Erin, Andrew and McKynsey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary,
    I think Winston Churchill said it the best. "If you're going through hell, keep going." Keep that head up girl a victory is is just 1 quarter away. Love and miss - Kim Archer

    ReplyDelete