Monday, October 26, 2009

The Calm After the Storm

Wow! Things are finally beginning to settle down from the crazy weekend. They should...now that it is only a few hours away from the Monday work day!

We began the weekend on Thursday Night at the Northwest Missouri State University Homecoming Variety Show & Coronation. My beautiful, little cousin was a Queen candidate and there were 40ish friends and family there to provide the support she well deserves. She did not win the crown, but she will continue to be a queen in our eyes. We are so PROUD of her!

My niece's team won the state softball semifinal game on Friday. Guess What?!? She hit another homerun. Jillian is nominated for athlete of the week in the St. Joseph News Press. Please vote at www.stjoenews.net/news/2009/oct/25/girls-athletes-week by Wednesday if you get a chance. Immediately following the softball game in St. Joseph, we made a quick trip to Stanberry for the Homecoming Football game. The Bulldogs won easily and the game ended after 3 quarters due to the point spread. I was officially frozen by the end of the night.

Saturday was completely packed with events. We started at the Northwest Homecoming Parade, then football game. Dan was not so happy with me when I made him leave the Northwest Football game early so we could see Jillian and the Eagles play in the softball State Championship game. The Northwest Bearcats won in overtime and the Eagles earned a second place finish! After the softball game, we went shopping for costumes. Malia will be a ghost. Maggie wanted to be Ariel, but settled for a pink unicorn. Bo will be a skeleton.

Today was the day of rest! I rested throughout the day in between house and van cleaning. All of a sudden, this afternoon, I started getting this tingling and chilling feeling. I finally decided to take my temperature and discovered I had a 101.8 fever. Based on my instructions from Dr. AJ, I called the doctor for help and ended up in the ER. My strep test was negative and my flu test was negative. My white blood cells were low indicating my immunity and ability to "fight off" infections is low. They also drew blood to culture and will test it over the next 5 days. They gave me IV antibiotics. Sounds simple enough...but, I had a slight reaction to the Vancomycin. The first thing I noticed was my throat constricting, then Dan said it looked like I had a sunburn on my bald head. Next, I felt like my neck and shoulders were burning hot, and then had some hives on my neck and shoulders. I was able to take some Benadryl and am feeling better, not great, but much better. I thought the entire day today was going to be calm, but it did not work out as planned. Finally, I think the storms have passed and my body truly is ready to rest.

Sooooo...doubt I will get chemo on Monday...Bummer!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are starting to feel better. Rest up and keep fighting, we love you. Kellie, Dave, Maddie, Aidan, and Ethan

    ReplyDelete