Sunday, November 29, 2009

Football Frenzy

What a great weekend...football and more football amid all the holiday activities. It was too cool watching the Maryville Spoofhounds on TV as they dominated both sides of the ball and won a State Championship! The ending to the Northwest Bearcat Football game was nearly too much to handle...the Bearcats blocked an extra point attempt with 6 seconds on the clock to win the quarterfinal game 21-20. I am thrilled to get a chance to see the Bearcats play in Maryville under the lights on Saturday night in the Semi-final game. Dan received 8-Man Coach of the Year Honors from the KAAN Radio Station at the annual KAAN All-Star banquet tonight. He accompanied 3 seniors that made the 2009 KAAN All-Star team. You Gotta Love Football Season...it doesn't get much better than this!

And here we are...the eve of another chemo treatment. Jeez, the weeks fly by so fast! I can count the remaining chemo treatments on one hand...only 5 left. I am super excited for Christmas this year because if we stay on schedule, my last chemo will be the 28th of December. Needless to say, I have been listening to Christmas music for weeks and today, the girls helped me put up our Christmas decorations. As my sister noted, this is the earliest I have ever decorated for Christmas.

To any of you that dread the Monday morning work day (just like I used to every Monday)...be thankful!! My alternative is not much fun. I cannot wait to be able to go to work on Monday mornings.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Dan!! It was so nice to get a hug from you this weekend, I hope today goes great and you feel good this week. Enjoy those decorations and the music. It's going to be a great Christmas :) Love you lots, Kellie, Dave, Maddie, Aidan, and Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you and Steve head out every Monday morning for your new adventure in life, I wonder why God has choose this road for both of you but I can only think that he picks the ones that can handle it! You are right, we all should be HAPPY that our Monday mornings are all the same boring mornings, when there is so many people who have to go different SCARY ways! I can't believe that you will only have 4 treatments left after today, you are doing an AMAZING job, I am SO very PROUD of you! CONGRATS Dan on Coach of the Year, AGAIN!! You are doing an AMAZING job too! Keep your dukes up and all us Pray warriors are behind you! Wow, you only have 4 more treatments left, that means I better get busy shopping:) Fr. Emil Kapaun PLEASE KO the Beast and Heal my Baby Sis COMPLETELY, AMEN! I Love you to the Moon and Back! Your Favorite Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Dan! Great Job. Hope today went well for you Mary. Was so good seeing all of you over Thanksgiving. Hang tough. You are going to win this battle. Love you and continuing to send lots of prayers your way. Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary I have not had a chance to get on your blogspot until today, but I did talk to your mom about your progress. All of my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have to agree there are worse things than work on a Monday morning. When will you know about surgery? I saw a DR on ABC Good Morning America who is going to start clinical trials that involve changing the hormones the heart emits and disintegrates cancer cells. It works wonders with breast cancer --67% in mice. The Dr.lost his wife to cancer and decided to start researching for a cure. I know I would be throwing up every day as I have a really sensitive stomach, so I marvel at your strength.

    You are at a good hospital, and I am sure they are fighting hard for you too. It sounds like surgery is still a possibility. They will help you make the best decision for your health. I wish you well Mary and I have a book I used to read when I was first diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It is a book for women and I would read it at night for strength. I will try to mail it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel about waking up to "chemo day". The sense of dread and helplessness I felt up to and through the treatment was more overwhelming than the physical side effects. I don't know your sister except to see her when she and her family come in to eat at Pagliai's but I thought she was the toughest person I have ever seen when it came to her cancer battle. She was my secret inspiration when I was undergoing treatment. A lot of people commented on my strength through my fight but I couldn't have made it without thinking about Theresa. I thought of her often and that made me very strong.You're lucky to have her as your sister and as a rock to lean on through this fight. With Dan and Theresa on your side there's no way that you won't beat this horrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is so cool about Dan...congratulations!!
    Mary, I cannot even imagine how hard it is to face chemo Mondays...you have such a determined, positive attitude. I know that you have great faith, and that we are taught to "speak faith words" and not "fear words. " God spoke the world into being, and with our lips we speak our reality into being. I truly believe that you are an inspiring reminder to all of us to change the words we speak about our situations. I know that you are going to win this fight! Love you Mary, hugs to Dan and the little ones too.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete