Tuesday, January 5, 2010

We have a Surgery Schedule

I AM ready for the next BIG KO! Today reminded me just how confident I am in the team of physicians that are taking care of me. Dr. Silva was thrilled with the progress we made with the chemo treatments. He seemed very pleased that he could not feel or detect any lymph nodes today. He was encouraged by the shrinkage and the improved mobility of the cluster. I have always trusted his strong intuition and he indicated this is where he expected to be...he believes the invasive cancer is gone, he believes he will discover some DCIS (cancer cells inside the milk ducts that do NOT respond to chemo therapy) and some scar tissue of cells my body created in defense. We feel well prepared for the next round in the ring...surgery.

Surgery will consist of a lumpectomy and removal of lymph nodes...yes, a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. The chemo did work because lumpectomy would not have been a choice if I had surgery in August. Dr. Silva is a huge advocate of conserving the breast. Surgery is scheduled for Friday, January 15, 2010. Dr. Silva will perform the surgery on an outpatient basis. They will take a mammogram and run several tests of the cluster that Dr. Silva removes to ensure they have removed all the damaged cells. The lymph nodes will be tested as well. I will have a drainage tube for a week after the surgery. Once I am completely healed after surgery, I will begin radiation treatments. As of yet, I do not know any specifics about the number and frequency of the radiation.

We discussed several things today, and again, I am reassured that my physicians have similar philosophies and care patterns. I will be talking to Dr. AJ about joining a trial/study for breast cancer survivors. I will start taking a hormone suppressor and Dr. Silva hopes to keep me in menopause which will offer me better protection against recurrence and against the spread of cancer because my cancer is estrogen receptor positive. Dr. Silva seemed impressed that I was able to complete my chemo treatments on the original schedule. I do feel fortunate my levels remained high enough, I did not get so sick that I could not get a treatment, I was not hospitalized, I did not have the nasty numbness and tingling from the Taxol, and I am very luck to have completed on schedule. Now, I hope my health continues in preparation for surgery next week.

This may be Too Much Information, but I simply have to share that Dan is not so thrilled about the breast conserving lumpectomy (nor the menopausal crap, either). Considering the DD bra he gave me for Christmas, I think he had high hopes that HE would get new boobs out of this deal. He's been to Hell and Back for me, with me! I think he was hoping to get some special reward, but that is not the plan!

I do have some pre-op junk to complete this week, so I hope the winter wonderland forecast cooperates and I am able to get all of that out of the way. Thanks for standing ringside with me as I continue this fight. Keep Warm! Safe Travels!

14 comments:

  1. So happy for you and thankful all seems on track. Thank you God for all you have given.
    Will keep praying.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even tell you how much I have rubbed my worry Angel and Prayed for this WONDERFUL news! You are doing an AMAZING job and I can't believe how you have gotten through it like a champ, I knew you were TOUGH and know how the hand out punches, but damn you did it and keep on going at work, home with your kids and didn't miss hardly and games, you are an Inspiration to us all! I just wish there was some way, any way, I could give you 3/4 or more of my breast, guess you will have to give me the DD bra, HEHEHEHE! Keep handing out punches, I am so proud of you and know that you will get the KO you deserve! Fr. Emil Kapaun please KO the beast and Heal my Baby Sis COMPLETELY, AMEN! I Love you the the Moon and Back! Your Favorite DD Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sign ME and Theresa up for tata donation to DAN!!! I'm not a big fan of the pregnancy boobs and would gladly let Dan carry them around for awhile.
    I'm so happy to hear your news! Proud of your strength and overall attitude. Everyone is cheering and prayng for you next week. I'm actually going to be home Jan. 13 - 17th so my prayers will be closer to you! Love you Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good News!! Tell Dan that those DD will just end up around your kneecaps in a few years...you keep fightin...we'll keep prayin..Love ya...Crock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your confidence and trust in the Lord and your doctors is working. Will continue to pray for strength for you and your family. Love you bunches. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Chester.... From 5000 miles away in Hawaii....I feel his pain.

    I think you need to give in and get huge ones....

    Just sayin for his sake....

    Guess who..? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, sounds as though you are winning the fight. Am happy that your doctors are so confident about your progress. Sounds as though there is a good plan in place for the rest of your fight. Am continuing to pray lots and sending bundles of love to you, Dan, Malia, Maggie and Bo. Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, your strength and courage and sense of humor have gotten you far in this fight. Keep up the good work!!! Lots of prayers your way to you and your family for a successful surgery.
    ...........gretchen mcqueen and fam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you have a new plan and are ready to go. It is good to hear you will only have to do the lumpectomy rather than the masectomy. Big boobs are overrated anyway--at least from a woman's perspective! Ha ha! Your brother is right...gravity will take care of them anyway! Good luck with the next step and continued success in your fight. I'll be thinking of you and praying for your continued good health. Marking the calendar for the 15th...Hang in there. Stay safe and WARM!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. So thankful for the good news and the plan to "put the Beast away"! We are praying extra hard to Fr. Emil Kapaun for your complete healing. We love you and look forward to your surgery being over. Rely on the angels you have looking over you. They will not let you down. Love Hugs Kisses
    XXXXXXOOOOOOOXXXXXXXX Aunt jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Mary,
    I have been thinking of you alot. Glad you have a plan you feel good about. I will be praying for you this week and esp on the 15th. Another round (surgery)will soon be over. Keep the faith, you are doing great!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, that sounds wonderful! I will be praying for you, and also for the weather so you can get all your preop testing completed. Please give my condolences to Dan :) sorry he didn't his Christmas order filled....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary thinking about you and saying extra prayers that surgery goes well on Friday. I'm sure it will and you'll be one step closer to full recovery. Love to all of you. Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete