Thursday, January 28, 2010

Drain Free

Hallelujah, the damn drain is out! Finally! Dr. Silva and crew were able to remove the drain tube that I have had since surgery 2 weeks ago. I am so happy to get rid of that thing and hoping to get some restful sleep tonight. YowZaa...thank goodness the burning and stinging did not last but a few seconds during the removal of the drain tube. My labor and deliver relaxation method did not get me through the removal, but I was able to grit my teeth and made it without screaming. Wow, that stung!

The back of my left arm from my elbow to my armpit has been very sensitive since surgery. It already feels much better and I can finally handle some bumps from the kids. It is not great, but MUCH better. I can easily raise my arm to a 45 degree angle in a couple directions, so getting that drain out helped a bunch.

The girls went to Omaha with us and were able to stay with cousins last night and we loved every minute of it. We did not get much sleep for a "school night", but the kids do enjoy playing together. The girls met Dr. Silva and his nurses today and they liked "Mommy's Breast Cancer Doctor". Maggie sat on the exam table when we first arrived and I asked her if she was going to let Dr. Silva look at her boobs. She looked at me like I was from a different planet. I am not sure what goes through the mind of a 4 year old, but I still do not think she understands why Dr. Silva looks at my boobs. She is too funny!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so very happy for you! I laugh at Maggie, tell her if she is going to be a breast cancer Dr. she better get used to having her boobs looked at:) I am soooooo proud of you all, you are almost there, hang in there and hopefully this will all be over in a couple more months and you can enjoy life and summer a little, I know that it will be in the back of your mind for the rest of your life but try to "Think Good Thoughts" with me! You are an amazing woman and I know everyone is wondering how the heck you got through all this and never missed a beat with your kids? Well I have to say thanks to all the prayer warriors and Fr. Emil Kapaun, all your prayers helped and were answered. We will continue to pray that radiation and the hormone medicine goes smooth, it has to! Fr. Emil Kapaun, PLEASE continue to KO the beast and heal my baby sis completely, AMEN! I am so PROUD of you, CONGRATULATIONS, YOU DID IT! I Love you to the Moon and Back, Your Favorite Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, another step closer to a complete KO. What good news and I have no doubt that you are going to win this fight. I have to smile at your little Maggie. She is so unique and like you, I would love to know what is going through her mind. A belated Happy Birthday to Dan. Continuing to send lots of love and prayers to all of you. Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the arm continues to feel better along with the rest of your body and mind. Continuing to pray for you and your family Love to all of you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallelujah--is the best why to explain how one feels after getting rid of those *#*$% drains. As time goes by you will forget some of the details of your treatment BUT not those drains. I had mine in for 18 days, 7 hours and ?? minutes. My ROM returned to normal after I got rid of my drains also.

    Sounds like all is going well. Just wanted you to know that I still thinking of you.

    Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary -

    I have been meaning to email you but it has been crazy busy around here. I have only met you once or twice but Aaron and I have been following your journey since the beginning. I just wanted to say you are amazing girl!! You are a tough lady (not that I'm surprised by this at all).

    Know that radiation does get annoying and tiresome of doing the same freaking thing every day for 25, 33 or however many days you have to do it! I was so happy not to have to make the drive to radiation every day when it was all over. I hope you get through it as easily as I did. Make sure you find some good aloe vera without alcohol to cover any burns.

    On the menopause thing - I am in full menopause because of the pelvic radiation so if you ever have any questions, please feel free to email me. I found that taking black cohosh (which is a safe herb) helps a lot with the night sweats (which are weird and the dreams that come with them weirder!).

    Hang in there lady! I know radiation can tire you out, so take time for yourself and make sure to rest lots and stay healthy otherwise. We're praying for you!

    Tammy Luke

    ReplyDelete