Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Prayerful Healing

This waiting game is full of prayers and more prayers! I have a follow-up appointment on Thursday to get test results and remove the drain tube and another appointment on Monday to get the next steps started. I am sure you have experienced the craziness of time...time is so precious. I complain about waiting so long for these results and then realize that Thursday is ONLY a couple days away...wow, where did the week go?

I went through the same thing on Monday...it was the 11th anniversary of my Daddy's death (and the 53rd anniversary of my Biggest Sister's birthday as Mother reminded me). Sometimes it seems like Dad has missed EVERYTHING and been gone FOREVER, then in an instant I can re-live Monday, January 18, 1999. I know where I was sitting on the couch with Dan when the phone rang and I know we were watching Melrose Place (haven't watched it since). I remember waiting in the ER at the hospital because we lived in Maryville and beat the ambulance to the hospital...nothing about that wait went quick. But, one thing is for certain...the existence of prayer. The waiting game for me is always full of prayers and more prayers!

I think my healing process is going great. The pain has subsided and I get yelled at a lot for "doing too much". I have two incisions...one is about 3 inches long and about an inch above my nipple on the left breast (kind of curved around the nipple) and the other is under my armpit (I cannot see much to know the details of it). That incision has been the source of all the pain I experienced. If it wasn't for that incision, I may not have known that anything happened. There is also a drain tube in the armpit and Dan gets to measure and rid the gunk twice a day. Dan helped me with my first bath yesterday. I am laughing as I think of it because it was basically a circus and took entirely too long, but it felt good to finally be refreshed. I do have lots of help from family, but Dan has been amazing. This is really not his calling and we both lose our tempers, but he is mastering the extra duties and responsibilities. The first night we were all home after surgery (remember, I was basically helpless and as needy as one of the kids) and Dan finally had everyone in bed, he sighed and slumped into his favorite chair and said, "Damn, I feel like I have just been in a bar fight!"

I will continue my fight. I am prayerfully awaiting the test results. I was so saddened yesterday when I heard my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer. She, too, is awaiting results. It makes me so sick to think of my loved ones fighting through this, but I do know that my aunt has a lot of fight in her and she will put up a strong fight. Sending Hugs and Kisses from MO. We will surround my aunt with prayers!

3 comments:

  1. While you wait, I want to remind you what you gave me for Christmas, "THINK GOOD THOUGHTS"! I love it and I look at it everyday and remind myself that we serve an awesome GOD. I know the waiting sucks but we will all pray that everything will be just fine! It is weird, I too will never forget Monday, January 18, 1999, sitting at a meeting at the Abbey, just getting through our prayer and Fr. came and told me to call home NOW, Seems like yesterday but hell I can't remember what I did yesterday or what I even ate, soooo strange! I just can't believe that we get punched in the gut again, just when we think things are going to get better for our family and that damn beast comes knocking, CANCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!! (I know THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!) I know she will be fine, I just can't stand to think yet another one of us has to go through this crap but she knows that she has an ARMY behind her too! Please take care of yourself and don't overdue it, I remember you telling me the same thing:))) Fr. Emil Kapaun, PLEASE KO the Beast and heal my baby sis and Aunt Completely, AMEN!! I Love you to the Moon and Back! Your Favorite Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, your comment about Dan made me chuckle. You are so lucky to have him and I'm sure there is more than once when he has felt he has been through a bar fight. Yes, the prayer ARMY is behind you and my sister-in-law as the fight goes on. Sending lots of love to you. Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, Dan, and family,
    You have been in my thoughts and prayers throughout your journey, and continue to be there. Our family has added your aunt to our prayer list as well, as she is part of our family, too.
    I could really identify with this post as Monday was my first shower in ten days! I could stand myself no longer. Ronnie was so worried I would stretch my hip too far or bend the "wrong" way and all I wanted was warm water to make me feel fresh again. I also identify with the battle of wills, husbands mean well, but . . . .
    Anyway, it is my turn to thank you for your healing prayers as they are working for me and I am confident they are healing you too.
    Keep up the good spirits and fight and KO the BEAST!!!
    Love and hugs,
    Sue and Ronnie

    ReplyDelete