Thursday, March 18, 2010

State Bound

I am just finishing the packing for a weekend trip to the State Basketball tournament in Columbia. The Jefferson Lady Eagles are playing in the Final Four of Class 1. My girls may be more excited about "vacation" and the opportunity to swim than the basketball games, but they are young...there is still hope for them.

I think I mentioned our 20th anniversary of our 1990 Class 1A Basketball 3rd place this year. Last year was our 20th anniversary of our 1989 Class 1A Basketball State Championship. How rare is this...the Jefferson Lady Eagles qualified for the Final Four last year and this year. Both years that we celebrate our 20th anniversary, we have the distinct honor to cheer for our own Blue and Gold. Now that is VERY IMPRESSIVE! I wish I could say we are heading back next year to celebrate another 20th anniversary, but we were left on the Quarterfinals court my senior year...3 points short of a 3rd trip to the Final Four. One of my nephews is a senior and they lost the Quarterfinal game last Saturday night by 3 points. I tried to tell him that I know exactly how he feels! Life goes on, but it is a memory I hope to never forget!

We will stop in St. Joe for my radiation treatment on the way to Columbia. The techs are excited to finally meet Bo. Malia and Maggie have both gone to a radiation treatment with me, so the techs have met the girls. Now, they will get a chance to meet the "big guy". I warned one of the techs that she is not allowed to keep Bo...I am almost certain she will want to. Every person that works at the Cancer Center is completely genuine, very talented and damn good at what they do.

Tomorrow will be treatment number 24. I will have 4 regular treatments and 6 boosts left after tomorrow. I do get to take Friday off, which is probably a good thing because I am starting to burn. I peeled for the first time yesterday...not bad...about the size of a quarter. It does not hurt and it does not bother me so I am truly blessed to be so lucky. The prayers continue to work in my favor.

Speaking of prayers...please say a prayer for a special friend and his family. He was diagnosed with colon cancer today. He is our rock. We have always been able to depend on him and he has taken great care of our family. Now it is our turn to help him for a change. Prayers for a complete cure!

3 comments:

  1. We will be cheering from up north tonight. Glad the end of radiation is in sight but more happy that you are able to enjoy the fun weekend in Columbia. Am so sad that we will not be able to have an Iowa team in the volleyball tourney but we have relatives from California in town that weekend. Go Eagles. Bunches of Love, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers Mary!!! We love you guys and know that dad will fight this and win just like you have!!! You continue to be a huge inspiration 2 our family....luv ya...

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I finaly got up to date with all your postings. Karen kept me up to date with all the Jefferson ballgames. Can't believe that you are so close to being finished with your radiation. That will call for a celebration. I can tell you that 5 years of Tamoxifin will go by in a hurry and I'm a strong believer that it is worth it. Hopefully, I"ll see you at Easter. I prayed for you and your family many times as I visited various religious sights in Israel-even lit a candle or two. AM continuing the prayers. Lots of love, Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete