Tuesday, September 14, 2010

God's Presence

I have felt the presence of God several times during this fight, but never more than today. I had my final consult with a 3rd Plastic Surgeon in Omaha. I saw 2 in Omaha and 1 in Kansas City over the last few weeks. After my consult today, I was prepared for one of the hardest decisions ever. I have the strongest loyalty to Dr. Silva in Omaha and the Plastic Surgeon in Kansas City is the best by far. The optimal situation for me is to start reconstruction immediately after the mastectomy in the same procedural setting. Unfortunately, immediate reconstruction is nearly impossible with the Oncologist Surgeon in Omaha and the Plastic Surgeon in KC. Dan and I had met with a surgeon and plastic surgeon in KC and liked them both, but I was struggling with the idea of betrayal.

Fortunately, Dr. Silva's nurse called and said they would see me today while I was in Omaha. I visited with his Case Manager first and explained to her how heart-broken I am to make such a tough decision. She reassured me that Dr. Silva would be very supportive and understanding. She reminded me that this is MY FIGHT! Dr. Silva was completely supportive and he was very pleased to hear the surgeon's name that I had consulted in KC to perform the mastectomy. Dr. Silva and the surgeon in KC are medical friends and have a respectful relationship. When I sit back and truly think about it, there is no other explanation other than God's Presence.

The KC surgeon's office called while we were on the way home from Omaha and they had already received a referral phone call from Dr. Silva and they are scheduling a pre-op appointment for me. The end is near...Glory Be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit!

3 comments:

  1. Mary,
    I hate that you have to go through this and make such difficult decisions!! We continue to pray for you, Dan, and the kids.

    Crystal and Kevin Archer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    You are such a loyal and loving person. Just keep in mind that EVERYONE wants you to have what is best for your treatment and peace of mind (including the doctors!)It feels like betrayal to you because you have such a wonderful heart! We all love you and God will guide you as long as you let Him. Our prayers are constant and again to let you know we all love you as you go through yet another round. You are such an inspiration to all of us. Love also to Dan and the kids from all of us. Aunt jo

    ReplyDelete